Data management plan
What template should you use to draft your Data Management Plan (DMP)?
A number of DMP templates are currently available, originating from different funding agencies or institutions. Moreover, there are ongoing efforts to develop templates for machine-actionable DMPs.
- Each funding agency could require or recommend a specific DMP template.
- Your institution could require and recommend a DMP template.
- Template could be presented as list of questions in text format or in a machine-actionable format.
- Consult the documentation of your funding agency or institution, or contact them to figure out if they require or recommend a DMP template.
- A core DMP template has been provided by Science Europe.
- From the Horizon Europe Programme Guide and the Horizon Europe Annotated Model Grant Agreement you can read DMP guidelines and access the Horizon Europe DMP template.
- Consider adopting the DMP Common Standard model from the Research Data Alliance if you want to produce a machine-actionable DMP template.
What tool should you use to write your DMP?
DMPs can be written offline by using the downloaded template in a text document format. However, a number of web-based DMP tools are currently available that greatly facilitate the process, as they usually contain several DMP templates and provide guidance in interpreting and answering the questions. Some of the tools also allow collaboration on a DMP and track the progress as it is a living document.
- Check what DMP tool is recommended or provided by your funding agency.
- Check what DMP tool is recommended or provided by your institute.
- Make sure that the tool you choose includes the DMP template that you need.
- If you want to produce a machine-actionable DMP, you need to make sure the tool you choose allows exporting the DMP in a machine-actionable format (e.g. JSON) rather than only as a PDF document.
- Use the tool suggested by your funding agency or institution.
- Choose one of the following online DMP tools (ordered alphabetically):
- Data Stewardship Wizard (DSW): publicly available open-source tool to collaboratively compose data management plans through smart and customisable questionnaires with FAIRness evaluation.
- DMP Canvas Generator: this tool, mainly for researchers in Switzerland, is based on a questionnaire following the structure of the SNSF (Swiss National Science Foundation) instructions for DMP submission. Each Swiss High School can develop a specific template/canvas.
- DMPonline: tool widely used in Europe and many universities or institutes provide a DMPonline instance to researchers.
- DMPTool: widely used tool and many universities or institutes provide a DMPTool instance to researchers.
- EasyDMP: tool provided by the pan-European network EUDAT.
- Additional tools for creating a DMP are listed in the table below.
What should you write in a DMP?
A DMP should address a broad range of data management aspects, regardless of template. It is important to be aware of the current best practices in DMPs before starting one.
Common topics of a DMP are:
- General information about the project.
- Description of the datasets that will be used and generated.
- Description of metadata, ontologies and data documentation.
- Storage solutions, data security and preservation strategy that will be adopted during and after the project.
- How, when and where data will be shared and published.
- Costs and resources needed for data management.
- Ethical and legal issues, such as privacy, intellectual property and licences.
- This website includes best practices and guidelines about the different aspects of research data management that should be covered in a DMP.
- Core requirements for DMP have been described by Science Europe.
- Consider the DMP Common Standard from the Research Data Alliance as a reference data model for organising the different topics.
Relevant tools and resourcesSkip tool table
|Tool or resource||Description||Related pages||Registry|
|Argos||Plan and follow your data. Bring your Data Management Plans closer to where data are generated, analysed and stored.||Researcher Data steward research|
|Data Stewardship Wizard||Publicly available online tool for composing smart data management plans Different instances available||Researcher Data steward research Data steward infrastructure NeLS TSD||bio.tools TeSS|
|DMP Canvas Generator||Questionnaire, which generates a pre-filled a DMP||Researcher Data steward research|
|DMPlanner||Semi-automatically generated, searchable catalogue of resources that are relevant to data management plans.||Researcher Data steward research|
|DMPonline||A free tool to write, share and export a data management plan. Built-in data management plan templates for many major funders.||Researcher Data steward research||TeSS|
|DMPRoadmap||DMP Roadmap is a Data Management Planning tool. Different instances available||Researcher Data steward research|
|DMPTool||Build your Data Management Plan||Researcher Data steward research|
|EasyDMP||DMP creation, versioning and sharing Different instances available||Researcher Data steward research|
|maDMP - Research Bridge||Machine-Actionable Data Management Plan | Webinar (2016) on making a good data management plan.||Data steward infrastructure|
|OTP||One Touch Pipeline (OTP) is a data management platform for running bioinformatics pipelines in a high-throughput setting, and for organising the resulting data and metadata.||Human data Documentation and metadata Data analysis||bio.tools|
|Research Management Plan||Machine actionable DMPs.||Researcher Data steward research||TeSS|
This instance of DMPonline is provided by the DMPbelgium Consortium. We can help you write and maintain data management plans for your research.
|Data steward research Researcher|
Data management planning tool (Finland)
|CSC Researcher Data steward research|
Online questionnaire for the development of data management plans - repository of DMPs
|IFB Researcher Data steward research|
DS-Wizard is a tool to aid the creation, organisaton and sharing of data management plans. It provides scientists with guidance, facilitating the understanding of the key components of FAIR-oriented Data Stewardship. The template in this instance provides additional guidance on resources, laws and regulations in Norway.
Data Stewardship Wizard
|TSD NeLS Marine Metagenomics|
DMP tool from UNINETT Sigma2
DMPonline is a web-based tool that supports researchers to develop data management and sharing plans. It contains the latest funder templates and best practice guidelines to support users to create good quality DMPs.
|Data steward research Researcher|