What template should you use to draft your Data Management Plan (DMP)?
A number of DMP templates are currently available, originating from different funding agencies or institutions. Moreover, there are ongoing efforts to develop templates for machine-actionable DMPs.
- Each funding agency could require or recommend a specific DMP template.
- Your institution could require and recommend a DMP template.
- Template could be presented as list of questions in text format or in a machine-actionable format.
- Consult the documentation of your funding agency or institution, or contact them to figure out if they require or recommend a DMP template.
- A core DMP template has been provided by Science Europe.
- Consider adopting the DMP Common Standard model from the Research Data Alliance if you want to produce a machine-actionable DMP template.
What tool should you use to write your DMP?
DMPs can be written offline by using the downloaded template in a text document format. However, a number of web-based DMP tools are currently available that greatly facilitate the process, as they usually contain several DMP templates and provide guidance in interpreting and answering the questions.
- Check what DMP tool is recommended or provided by your funding agency.
- Check what DMP tool is recommended or provided by your institute.
- Make sure that the tool you choose includes the DMP template that you need.
- If you want to produce a machine-actionable DMP, you need to make sure the tool you choose allows exporting the DMP in a machine-actionable format (e.g. JSON) rather than only as a PDF document.
- Use the tool suggested by your funding agency or institution.
- Choose one of the following online DMP tools:
- DMPonline: it is widely used in Europe and many universities or institutes provide a DMPonline instance to researchers.
- DMP Canvas Generator: it needs an Orcid account for login.
- DMPTool: it is widely used and many universities or institutes provide a DMPtool instance to researchers.
- Data Stewardship Wizard (DSW): it is a tool to generate machine-actionable questionnaires based on existing or new templates (knowledge models).
- EasyDMP: tool provided by the pan-European network EUDAT.
- Additional tools for creating a DMP are listed in the table below.
What should you write in a DMP?
A DMP should address a broad range of data management aspects, regardless of template. It is important to be aware of the current best practices in DMPs before starting one.
Common topics of a DMP are:
- General information about the project.
- Description of the datasets that will be used and generated.
- Description of metadata, ontologies and data documentation.
- Storage solutions, data security and preservation strategy that will be adopted during and after the project.
- How, when and where data will be shared and published.
- Costs and resources needed for data management.
- Ethical and legal issues, such as privacy, intellectual property and licences.
- This website includes best practices and guidelines about the different aspects of research data management that should be covered in a DMP.
- Core requirements for DMP have been described by Science Europe.
- Consider the DMP Common Standard from the Research Data Alliance as a reference data model for organising the different topics.
Relevant tools and resources
|Tool or resource||Description||Tags||Registry|
|Argos||Plan and follow your data. Bring your Data Management Plans closer to where data are generated, analysed and stored.||DMP researcher data manager|
|DMP Canvas Generator||Questionnaire, which generates a pre-filled a DMP||DMP researcher data manager|
|DMP OPIDoR||Online questionnaire for the development of data management plans - repository of DMPs||DMP researcher data manager|
|DMPlanner||Semi-automatically generated, searchable catalogue of resources that are relevant to data management plans.||DMP researcher data manager|
|DMPonline||A free tool to write, share and export a data management plan. Built-in data management plan templates for many major funders.||DMP researcher data manager|
|DMPonline Belgium||A free tool to write, share and export a data management plan. Instance aimed at Belgian researchers with built-in data management plan templates for the major funders.||DMP researcher data manager|
|DMPTool||Build your Data Management Plan||DMP researcher data manager|
|DMPTuuli Finland||Data management planning tool||DMP researcher data manager|
|DS-Wizard||Data Stewardship Wizard||DMP researcher data manager IT support nels|
|EasyDMP||DMP creation, versioning and sharing||DMP researcher data manager|
|maDMP - Research Bridge||Machine-Actionable Data Management Plan | Webinar (2016) on making a good data management plan.||DMP IT support|
|OTP||One Touch Pipeline (OTP) is a data management platform for running bioinformatics pipelines in a high-throughput setting, and for organising the resulting data and metadata.||human data metadata DMP data analysis|
|Research Management Plan||Machine actionable DMPs.||DMP researcher data manager|